Third Way’s National Security Program is dedicated to keeping national security on the front burner for policymakers and candidates. The primary focus of the Program is Third Way’s non-partisan Cyber Enforcement Initiative, the first-ever public policy initiative of its kind dedicated to strengthening governments’ abilities to identify, stop, and bring to justice, malicious cyber actors. The position of Senior Policy Advisor is a tremendous opportunity for an individual looking to join a cutting-edge advocacy and research team working to build out this recent Initiative and lead its efforts on domestic law enforcement responses to cybercrime. The candidate would also have the opportunity to work on a wide range of other national security and foreign policy issues when relevant.
As the Senior Policy Advisor on the National Security Program, a typical day might include…
- Analyzing law enforcement responses to cyber-attacks, and developing policy recommendations to improve those responses;
- Identifying and convening a community of law enforcement, cybersecurity, and policy experts working on ways to better identify, find, and punish the malicious cyber actor;
- Conceiving, drafting, and editing high-impact written products to educate and explain to academics and policymakers the challenges around enforcement of cybercrimes and other national security threats, when timely;
- Representing the National Security Program at conferences, convenings, panel discussions, and in the media;
- Analyzing other national security policy challenges, and drafting incisive and impactful summaries of them for policymakers; and
- Analyzing the politics of national security, and responding to it, as directed by the head of the program.
This might be the job for you, if you…
- Have a degree in law, policy, cybersecurity, or related field;
- Have 5 years experience in law, cybersecurity policy, or relevant field;
- Want to contribute towards Third Way’s mission;
- Take pride in and ownership of in your work;
- Are curious and eager for professional development;
- Think on your feet and adapt to changes effortlessly;
- Communicate clearly and effectively in writing and verbally;
- Are motivated and driven by your passion for opportunity, freedom, and security; and
- Want to make a difference and an imprint as Third Way’s newest Senior Policy Advisor.
In the Third Way Culture, we are looking for…
- Self-starters: People who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
- Collaborators: People who work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing its shared priorities.
- Creators: People who foster divergent thinking; that aren’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. Team members come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge their preconceptions.
- Results-oriented: People who function with an organizational commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
- Respectful: People who embrace the diverse perspectives of everyone and fosters the values of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness at all times.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU’LL…
- Participate in Third Way’s comprehensive onboarding program.
- You’ll learn about all aspects of Business Operations, which includes benefits, IT, finance, and office operations.
- Meet your Third Way Buddy, be introduced to the entire staff, and start to learn the TW’s culture.
- Learn our current processes for payroll, compliance, and labor tracking, and how you will partner with Finance and the rest of the Business Operations team on these processes.
- Participate in weekly one-on-ones with your manager to ensure you fully understand the expectations of the job.
- Attend your departmental weekly meetings. You’ll learn about the key goals of your program, how they’re doing, what challenges they face, and how you will contribute.
- Share coffee with the COO and learn about the history and growth of Third Way.
- Engage in discussions on cyber-enforcement and other national security issues with the rest of the team.
WITHIN 2 MONTHS, YOU’LL…
- Gain an understanding of each employee’s role and their contribution to the organization.
- Attend program overview sessions to learn more about each team’s contribution to TW’s mission.
- Sit in on a riveting story about Third Way’s history with one of the original founders of Third Way. You will learn about our successes, as well as our failures. This will also afore you the opportunity to learn about future direction.
- Incorporate TW’s Style Guide and Production process into your work products.
- Participate in, at least, one of our internal Professional Development trainings or a Center for Fun activity.
- Learn and experience TW’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and respect in the workplace.
- Convene a working group of law enforcement and policy experts to discuss challenges in battling cybercrime.
- Draft a discussion guide for a law enforcement working group.
- Write briefing notes on current national security issues for policymakers and candidates when relevant.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL…
- Feel a sense of comfort and familiarity with the staff, your team, and your work.
- Continue to attend weekly departmental meetings with a stronger understanding of your team’s strategic goal.
- Bring new ideas and suggestions to your weekly one-on-ones with your manager.
- Attend and participate in external functions with other members of your team.
- Complete your 90-day self-evaluation and performance review with your manager.
- Partner with your manager to establish your long-term goals for the remainder of the year.
Third Way is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates, supports and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or gender identity, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable laws.
JBThirdWay / Equal Opportunity Employer / HH6898