Fort Meade, Maryland
Pay Plan: GG, Grade: 12/1 to 14/10
Open: 2022-09-23, Close: 2022-10-23
As a Front End Web Developer, your responsibilities may include:
– consulting extensively with customers to elicit project requirements, provide content strategy services, and establish and communicate project timelines and milestones
– collaborating with team members, as needed, to ensure technical solutions are implemented to meet project requirements
– communicating ideas through mockups
– creating website and web application designs based on customer requirements, standards, and best practices
– developing, and implementing user-friendly, professional, visually-pleasing websites and web applications
– working within a content management system to implement customer vision and requirements to streamline the lifecycle of websites
– managing multiple projects, timelines and resources
Communications personnel at the National Security Agency (NSA) provide NSA with the means to build capacity through timely and effective tailored communications to inform, educate and inspire. Examples include building state-of-the-art websites and web applications for the Agency intranet, performing closed captioning at a live event, designing logos, publishing reports, and maintaining/safeguarding records.
The qualifications listed are the minimum acceptable to be considered for the position.
Degree must be in Web Design or Web Development, or a related field (e.g., Web Technologies, Computer Science, Programming, Visual Communications, Human-centered computing, Graphic Design).
Relevant experience must be in visual communication of information (e.g., layout, design and navigation principles, information architecture, content strategy, usability). Must also demonstrate knowledge (through coursework or experience) in using web-authoring software, graphic design software, and web programming languages. Project management experience is preferred.
FULL PERFORMANCE LEVEL
Entry is with a Bachelor’s degree plus 3 years of relevant experience, or a Master’s degree plus 1 year of relevant experience. A high school diploma or GED plus 7 years of relevant experience, or an Associate’s degree plus 5 years of relevant experience may be considered.
Entry is with a Bachelor’s degree plus 6 years of relevant experience, or a Master’s degree plus 4 years of relevant experience. A high school diploma or GED plus 10 years of relevant experience, or an Associate’s degree plus 8 years of relevant experience may be considered. Experience leading large-scale web projects is required. Experience in WCAG 2.0 Accessibility requirements is required. Formal or informal leadership is preferred (e.g. Team Lead, Art Director, Creative Director).
The ideal candidate is someone with a desire for continual learning and who possesses strong communication (oral and written), problem-solving, analytic, interpersonal skills, and is:
– HTML (directly writing HTML code)
– CSS (layout and positioning)
– Adobe Photoshop and/or Adobe Illustrator
– Web Authoring Tool (e.g. Dreamweaver, Sublime, IDE)
– Debugging Tools (e.g. Chrome Inspect, Firebug)
– Content Management Systems (e.g. WordPress)
– Responsive frameworks (e.g. Bootstrap)
– Section 508 WCAG Compliancy
Experience beneficial with:
– Agile Methodologies
– Able to negotiate with and influence others
– Able to work effectively (independently and/or within teams) across functional areas in a collaborative environment
– Able to manage multiple tasks with competing timelines and deliverables
Experience in the following is required:
– Creating original designs using image editing software which are appropriate for websites and web applications (e.g. web limitations, screen resolutions, how to create graphics for use in HTML layouts, etc…)
– Translating written/verbal themes and ideas into appropriate visual design
– Translating a mockup into a fully creative, cohesive, functional, and visually-pleasing website or web application
– Utilizing best practices in User Interface/User Experience design
– Implementing requirements as defined in Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act is a plus
– Applying web design principles and best practices to website and web application creation
– Ability to work in a team/collaborative environment
– Ability to follow established coding standards and processes
– Strong understanding of information architecture, navigation, and usability principles
Additional qualifications include an online portfolio showing recent examples of your web design and development work demonstrating your UX, web, and graphic design skills. Applicants without a current web design portfolio will not be considered.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary offers are based on candidates’ education level and years of experience relevant to the position and also take into account information provided by the hiring manager/organization regarding the work level for the position. This work role is for Maryland.
Salary Range: $74,950 – $164,102 (Full – Senior Level Experience)
On-the -job training, internal courses, and external training will be made available based on the need and experience of the selectee.
Work Schedule: The work schedule is Monday – Friday (Flexible). Applicants should be aware that some of these jobs support 24/7 operations based on mission requirements and shift schedules may vary to include night shift.
How to apply
U.S. Citizenship is required for all applicants. NSA is an equal opportunity employer and abides by applicable employment laws and regulations. All applicants and employees are subject to random drug testing in accordance with Executive Order 12564. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a security background investigation and polygraph.
Due to time sensitive communications regarding your application, please ensure your spam filters are configured to accept email from email@example.com. Please review the job posting thoroughly to ensure you meet the described qualifications and are aware of all associated requirements. To apply for this position, please click the ‘Apply’ button located at the top right of this posting. After completing the application for the first time, or reviewing previously entered information, and clicking the ‘Submit’ button, you will receive a confirmation email. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible, as job postings could close earlier than the closing date due to sufficient number of applicants, or the position is no longer available. You may be asked a series of questions depending on the position you apply for. Your responses will be used as part of the application screening process and will assist in determining your eligibility for the position. Be sure to showcase within your resume those experiences relevant to this position. Failure to provide the required information or providing inaccurate information will result in your application not being considered for this position. Only those applicants who meet all position qualifications, may be contacted to begin employment processing. Please remain diligent in monitoring email and your SPAM folder. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to applicants with disabilities during the application and hiring process where appropriate. Please visit our Diversity link for more information.
This position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans’ Preference to eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans’ preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you may be asked to submit documents verifying your eligibility.
The National Security Agency (NSA) is part of the DoD Intelligence Community Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). All positions in the NSA are in the Excepted Services under 10 United States Codes (USC) 1601 appointment authority.
JBNSA / Equal Opportunity Employer