Data Scientist (SkillBridge Intern) – 7491
Date: Apr 14, 2023
Location: Honolulu, HI, Hawaii
Company: HII’s Mission Technologies division
Requisition Number: 7491
Required Travel: 0 – 10%
Employment Type: Part Time/Hourly/Non-Exempt
Hours Per Week: 40.00
Security Clearance: Secret
Level of Experience: Mid
Program of Instruction (POI)
This is an UNPAID internship through the DoD SkillBridge Program for transitioning active-duty US military personnel. DoD SkillBridge Internships are available to help transitioning active-duty military personnel gain real-world experience in the work force sometime during their final 180 days of active-duty service. The intern will actively train on meaningful projects and work closely with a mentor and with senior company leadership. HII Mission Technologies Internship programs are focused on placing transitioning military into internships that require KSAs, Education & Military Training similar to their current or previous military jobs; positions that could easily transition over to a full-time regular and permanent job with HII.
Essential Job Responsibilities
For this internship, the SkillBridge intern will train as a Data Scientist with HII Mission Technologies, reporting to a designated HII Mission Technologies Supervisor, with the goal of offering you the opportunity to work alongside subject matter experts and assist in providing critical support to our clients. Our experts will provide on-the-job training, and ensure interns complete our program with the confidence to accurately apply and perform the skills learned in this internship throughout their future careers. This internship not only provides you the opportunity to gain valuable work experience in a professional environment, but also allows you a look at what HII Mission Technologies can offer you as an employee.
Desired End State (3-4 month target)
– Support Data Analysts in developing, inspecting, mining, transforming, and modeling data to raise productivity, improve decision making, and gain competitive advantage.
– Assist Data Analysts in conducting quantitative and qualitative analysis on data and information to ensure correct predictive forecasting or classification.
– Assist in managing all aspects of end-to-end data processing utilizing customized report building functions of systems, maintaining analytical systems, and verifying the accuracy of the data.
– Mission Technologies will benefit from the military background of the SkillBridge intern and considers the SkillBridge internship an overall positive experience.
– Ensure the assignment of challenging projects and tasks.
– Provide projects that complement academic programs and-or career interests.
– Give broad exposure to the organization (provides a chance for them to personally develop and explore career possibilities).
– Provide adequate, reliable, and regular supervision and mentoring.
– Ensure interns are keeping pace and accomplish goals.
– Industry relevance.
– Real life experience.
– Enable the intern to establish a professional network.
Assumptions – Restrictions
– SkillBridge Intern will possess at minimum an Active Secret Security Clearance.
– SkillBridge Intern will be available during core hours for critical meetings and training.
Phase 1- Orientation
– Company onboarding (Week 1)
– Doctrines (Weeks 2-7)
– LOEs (Weeks 2-11)
Phase 2- Technical Training
– Open-source software
– R and RStudio (Weeks 2-13)
– Python and Jupyter Notebooks (Weeks 5-13)
– AWS SageMaker (Week 2)
– Descartes Labs (Weeks 8-11)
– Brewlytics (Weeks 4-8)
– QGIS (Weeks 9-11)
– Other (Neo4J, Chariot, Nucleus, Novus) (Weeks 9-11)
Phase 3- LOE Integration (Weeks 12-13)
– Apply data sets to software
– Apply data sets to platforms
Phase 4- Reporting (Weeks 12-13)
– Create presentation on 90-day internship
Active-Duty Military ONLY within final 180 days of active-duty service. Education and Experience dependent on Program of Instruction.
Must have a current/active DoD Secret Security Clearance
Experienced with the Open Source Software and Platforms listed above.
Physical Requirements will vary and is dependent on the Program of Instruction.
HII is a global engineering and defense technologies provider. With a 135-year history of trusted partnerships in advancing U.S. national security, HII delivers critical capabilities ranging from the most powerful and survivable naval ships ever built, to unmanned systems, ISR and AI/ML analytics. HII leads the industry in mission-driven solutions that support and enable a networked, all-domain force. Headquartered in Virginia, HII’s skilled workforce is 44,000 strong. For more information, please visit: hii.com.
HII’s Mission Technologies division develops integrated solutions that enable today’s connected, all-domain force. Capabilities include C5ISR systems and operations; the application of AI and machine learning to battlefield decisions; defensive and offensive cyberspace strategies and EW; unmanned, autonomous systems; LVC solutions; platform modernization; and critical nuclear operations. Together, HII’s domain expertise and advanced technologies support mission partners anywhere around the globe. For more information, visit tsd.huntingtoningalls.com.
HII is an Equal Opportunity/Vets and Disabled Employer. U.S. Citizenship may be required for certain positions.
HII’s Mission Technologies division / Equal Opportunity Employer
SKSTU, SKDAT, FVR06 SKUUU, Honolulu, HI, Hawaii Honolulu, HI, Hawaii ZC ZCCX