Systems Engineer 1-3 (SkillBridge Intern) (Multiple Locations) – 12505
Date: May 1, 2023
Location: San Diego, CA, Virginia
Company: HII’s Mission Technologies division
Requisition Number: 12505
Required Travel: 0 – 10%
Employment Type: Temporary Worker
Hours Per Week: 40.00
Security Clearance: Secret
Level of Experience: Mid
This is an UNPAID internship through the DoD SkillBridge Program for transitioning active-duty US military personnel. DoD SkillBridge Internships are available to help transitioning active-duty military personnel gain real-world experience in the work force sometime during their final 180 days of active-duty service. The intern will actively train on meaningful projects and work closely with a mentor and with senior company leadership. HII Mission Technologies (HII-MT) Internship programs are focused on placing transitioning military into internships that require KSAs, Education & Military Training similar to their current or previous military jobs; positions that could easily transition over to a full-time regular and permanent job with HII-MT.
Program of Instruction
For this internship, the SkillBridge intern will train as a Systems Engineer within HII-Mission Technologies, reporting to a designated HII Supervisor, with the goal of learning Systems Engineering principles, technologies, and core device functions, as well as the roles and responsibilities of working in an enterprise IT environment. The intern will be assigned special projects as needed.
TRAINING LOCATIONS: San Diego, CA (primary); Norfolk, VA (alternate)
Desired End State (3-4 month target)
– The intern will develop a basic understanding of the NCTE architecture, gain familiarity with Navy Training Baseline software elements, load and modify Joint Simulation Bus (JBUS) configurations, demonstrate basic Joint Semi-Automated Forces (JSAF) operations, and conduct basic troubleshooting efforts.
– The intern will understand the network components that comprise the Navy Enterprise Tactical Training Network (NETTN)
– The intern will develop a basic understanding of security engineering requirements for training system connection to the NETTN
– Mission Technologies will benefit from the military background of the SkillBridge intern and considers the SkillBridge internship an overall positive experience.
– SkillBridge Intern will possess a technical background and have some familiarity with information systems, networks, and the Linux operating system
– SkillBridge Intern will possess at minimum an Active Secret Security Clearance.
– SkillBridge Intern will be available during core hours for critical meetings and training.
Phase 1 – Familiarization and Introductions
– Week 1: In processing, Introductions/office familiarization
– Week 2: Intro to the NCTE (Enterprise Architecture review; one-on-one training)
– Week 3: Intro to NCTE Network
– Week 4: Intro to the Navy Training Baseline (JSAF, JBUS focus)
– Week 5: Linux Command Line Primer
Phase 2 – Systems Operation
– Week 6: Intro to Nagios, MARCI, and Nexus
– Week 7: Integration Event Observation and Overview of Integrated Training Systems
– Week 8: Event Support Observation
– Week 9: Participate in Event Support Planning functions
Phase 3 – Troubleshooting, NCTE Processes and Administration
– Week 10: Learn basic troubleshooting techniques (Houston, JBUS, SAR logs)
– Week 11: Network troubleshooting & tools (wire shark, tcpdump)
– Week 12: NCTE Technical Project Management, JIRA & Confluence training
– Week 13: NCTE Process Asset Library (PAL)
– Instill project management basics through TPMP review, meeting attendance
– Linux scripting and integration with Nagios
– Provide event support with supervision
– Advanced Troubleshooting/responding to service disruptions
Active-Duty Military ONLY within final 180 days of active-duty service. Education and Experience dependent on Program of Instruction.
– Must have a current/active DoD Secret Security Clearance
– Must have at least 2+ years of demonstrable Linux experience
– 4-6 years of Linux operating environment experience is preferred, or
– Bachelor’s degree in IT or CS related field with 2 years of Linux experience preferred.
Physical Requirements will vary and is dependent on the Program of Instruction.
This opportunity resides with Live, Virtual, Constructive Solutions, a business group within HII’s Mission Technologies division. As a trusted partner to our military customers, we design, develop and operate systems that bring together service members from across the globe to help you train like you fight, because we understand that preparation requires full coordination—not readiness in piece parts.
HII is a global engineering and defense technologies provider. With a 135-year history of trusted partnerships in advancing U.S. national security, HII delivers critical capabilities ranging from the most powerful and survivable naval ships ever built, to unmanned systems, ISR and AI/ML analytics. HII leads the industry in mission-driven solutions that support and enable a networked, all-domain force. Headquartered in Virginia, HII’s skilled workforce is 44,000 strong. For more information, please visit: hii.com.
HII is an Equal Opportunity/Vets and Disabled Employer. U.S. Citizenship may be required for certain positions.
HII’s Mission Technologies division / Equal Opportunity Employer
SKSYS, SKSTU, FVR06 SKUUU, San Diego, CA, Virginia San Diego, CA, Virginia ZC ZCCX