Fort George G. Meade Complex, MD
Pay Plan: GG, Grade: 11/1 to 15/10
Open: 2023-07-01, Close: 2023-09-26
NSA’s Laboratory for Physical Sciences (LPS) is seeking quantum information scientists to work in a fast-paced team environment where university, industry, and federal government scientists collaborate on research in quantum and cryogenic devices, advanced communication, sensing, and computer technologies.
LPS is seeking multiple Quantum Researchers to push the frontiers of science by leveraging your expertise, ideas, and vision to serve in one or more of the following roles:
– Project Director: Serve as a Project Director, working alongside physicists, engineers, computer scientists, and system architects to help shape the future of U.S. computing interests.
– Lead Researcher in Modeling and Simulation: Lead research in modeling and simulation of quantum information systems and devices. This research is aimed at gaining a better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of various choices for realizing arrangements of quantum systems that provide advantage over classical alternatives for computation and sensing.
– Lead Researcher in Solid State Quantum Information Systems: Lead experimental research in solid state quantum information systems. This research is aimed at understanding the physics behind performance limits of current quantum devices and developing disruptive qubit materials, devices, and technologies for semiconductor and superconductor quantum computing.
– Quantum Information Science Researcher: Conduct computational, theoretical, or experimental research in a dynamic team environment focused on one of the topic areas described above.
As a Quantum Researcher, and valued member of the LPS Program Management team, you will leverage your expertise, ideas, and vision to:
– Lead projects that shape the future of U.S. computing interests;
– Conduct research in modeling and simulation of quantum information systems;
– Collaborate with leading scientists in quantum computing across government, industry, and academia to understand the latest state-of-the-art research, and identify future research gaps and needs;
– Implement strategies by directing U.S. Government investments;
– Advance U.S. leadership in Quantum Information Science (QIS) for the benefit of the entire nation.
Want to be a part of an elite team where your work has a global impact by researching and developing revolutionary ideas that will provide our nation with an overwhelming advantage? We have an opportunity for you!
As a Quantum Researcher at NSA, the creativity of you and your team is essential to investigate and implement effective solutions for internal and Agency-supported customers around the world. Your efforts will drive global impacts that may include: saving lives of U.S. and ally soldiers; providing U.S. policy and decision makers with critical, timely intelligence; ensuring the continued safety of U.S. citizens and residents by thwarting foreign adversaries; and defending vital networks.
The qualifications listed are the minimum acceptable to be considered for the position.
Degree must be in either (1) Engineering, (2) Physics or Astronomy from an accredited college or university, or (3) a relevant professional technical field (for example, chemistry, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, geology).
For Engineering degrees, if program is not ABET accredited, it must include specified coursework.*
*Specified coursework includes courses in differential and integral calculus and 5 of the following 18 areas: (a) statics or dynamics, (b) strength of materials/stress-strain relationships, (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics, (d) thermodynamics, (e) electromagnetic fields, (f) nature and properties of materials/relating particle and aggregate structure to properties, (g) solid state electronics, (h) microprocessor applications, (i), computer systems, (j) signal processing, (k) digital design, (l) systems and control theory, (m) circuits or generalized circuits, (n) communication systems, (o) power systems, (p) computer networks, (q) software development, (r) Any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, or soil mechanics.
Relevant experience must be in one or more of the following: performing engineering or physical sciences work, or conducting academic or independent research in a technical field (for example, mathematics, engineering, cognitive sciences and physical sciences).
Entry is with a Bachelor’s degree plus 3 years of relevant experience, or a Master’s degree plus 1 year of relevant experience, or a Doctoral degree and no experience.
Entry is with a Bachelor’s degree plus 7 years of relevant experience, or a Master’s degree plus 5 years of relevant experience, or a Doctoral degree plus 3 years of relevant experience.
Entry is with a Bachelor’s degree plus 10 years of relevant experience, or a Master’s degree plus 8 years of relevant experience, or a Doctoral degree plus 6 years of relevant experience.
You should have excellent problem-solving, communication, and interpersonal skills, and possess a range of knowledge and experience in at least two of the following areas:
– Several layers of a quantum information system hierarchy, with an emphasis on logical functionality (e.g., fault tolerant methods, sensor network design, quantum algorithm development in the circuit model paradigm, etc.);
– Physical constraints on quantum systems, including the impact of noise and other error sources;
– Modeling and/or simulation to include ab initio software development, as well as the ability to leverage existing software, using languages such as Python and C++;
– Quantum characterization (e.g., randomized benchmarking, tomographic methods, etc.).
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary offers are based on candidates’ education level and years of experience relevant to the position and also take into account information provided by the hiring manager/organization regarding the work level for the position. This position is hiring for Maryland.
Salary Range: $97,876 – $183,500 (Full Performance, Senior, Expert).
Cross-organizational mentoring is highly encouraged and readily available for all employees. Training is available through: continuing education classes provided by our internal school, vendor training, and a variety of tuition assistance programs. You can also take advantage of work assignment or travel opportunities, both stateside and abroad, or direct engagements with other Intelligence Community agencies.
As Federal employees, our employees enjoy job security, relocation assistance, flexible work schedules, generous leave programs, free onsite fitness centers at many locations, available paid personal fitness time within your normal work schedule, flexible health and life insurance, Federal retirement pension, matching employee retirement contributions to the Federal Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) for up to 5% of salary, and competitive pay.
The typical work schedule is Monday – Friday, with basic 8hr/day work requirements between 0600 to 1800 hrs (flexible).
How to apply
U.S. Citizenship is required for all applicants. NSA is an equal opportunity employer and abides by applicable employment laws and regulations. All applicants and employees are subject to random drug testing in accordance with Executive Order 12564. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a security background investigation and polygraph.
Due to time sensitive communications regarding your application, please ensure your spam filters are configured to accept email from no*****@in*****************.gov. Please review the job posting thoroughly to ensure you meet the described qualifications and are aware of all associated requirements. To apply for this position, please click the ‘Apply’ button located at the top right of this posting. After completing the application for the first time, or reviewing previously entered information, and clicking the ‘Submit’ button, you will receive a confirmation email. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible, as job postings could close earlier than the closing date due to sufficient number of applicants, or the position is no longer available. You may be asked a series of questions depending on the position you apply for. Your responses will be used as part of the application screening process and will assist in determining your eligibility for the position. Be sure to showcase within your resume those experiences relevant to this position. Failure to provide the required information or providing inaccurate information will result in your application not being considered for this position. Only those applicants who meet all position qualifications, may be contacted to begin employment processing. Please remain diligent in monitoring email and your SPAM folder. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to applicants with disabilities during the application and hiring process where appropriate. Please visit our Diversity link for more information.
This position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans’ Preference to eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans’ preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you may be asked to submit documents verifying your eligibility.
The National Security Agency (NSA) is part of the DoD Intelligence Community Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). All positions in the NSA are in the Excepted Services under 10 United States Codes (USC) 1601 appointment authority.