This role will support the Department of Analysis and Field Research and will report to the Director of Information and Analysis (I&A). He or she will set the tone for all analytical outputs, ensuring Valar’s message is clear and consistent with client expectations. Additionally, the I&A Team Manager will help guide information collection and ensure that respective collection strategies exist and are understood by Valar’s field enumerators and analysts. Moreover, this individual will be responsible for managing and leading the delivery all research projects and analysis in the department. Additional responsibilities include assisting with technical proposal inputs and concept note creation. This position will interface with client senior technical managers and staff to formulate and offer support for the implementation of future planning initiatives. This position includes direct management of all department programs and personnel.
Duties and Responsibilities
Analysis and Proposal Support
• Analyze and keep abreast of political and development trends in East Africa, to identify and propose engagement and support based on priorities in the relevant geography, strategic areas of focus, and comparative advantage;
• Assist with financial proposal forecasting, if required, by developing assessing cost needs and requirements with potential consultants, contractors, and/or field enumerators, relaying said information to the executive team, as required;
• Identify opportunities for I&A to provide immediate, quick-turn analytical products in support of near-term opportunities; and,
• Attend client meetings, providing technical inputs, and spotting clients gaps that may become future opportunities, while providing talking points, if needed, for senior-level engagements by the CEO, COO, and I&A Director.
Field Research Projects
• Ensure the delivery of all Analysis and Field Research projects within their agreed timeline, budget, scope, high quality, and under your stewardship;
• Manage all analysts and field enumerator teams, including the management of all products, reports, and associated deliverables for all clients;
• Ensure regular team meetings, and fluid communication within the field team, and across other technical and management units;
• Ensure that company policies and procedures are effectively implemented;
• Ensure high quality management and oversight of all pilot projects or other short, technical analysis projects;
• Provide effective line management, advice, support, professional development and mentorship to Field Enumerators and/or consultants working on said projects;
• Lead the recruitment and training of new field enumerators and consultants as needed;
• Ensure all project management procedures and systems are functioning and effective (e.g., contracting and invoicing);
• Oversee the financial management of analysis and field research projects, including forecasting, and regular reporting on variances; and
• Ensure the filing and archiving of project documentation and support the reporting on all projects, ensuring that the I&A Director and other senior management officials are adequately informed of progress.
• Lead on I&A data management and databasing, including data flattening, of all I&A reports and field information. Manage the I&A team on data processing and data management.
• Develop, manage, and coordinate client reports across all Valar projects, including collaboration between I&A and the Operations Department.
Client Management and Business Development
• Help build strong and productive relations with clients and partner organizations, supporting contract negotiation and effective communications on behalf of Valar;
• Actively seek new opportunities to on-sell the project to new clients in new markets or seek new opportunities within existing country;
• Develop and manage relationships with senior clients and their teams, acting as a trusted expert technical advisor;
• Consult and collaborate with internal and external colleagues and partners to ensure linkages, consistency, and harmonization of approaches and compliance with guidelines, framework and standards of accountability, integrity and performance;
• Build and strengthen strategic partnerships through active networking, advocacy and effective communication of Valar competencies in project service delivery and management; and
• Support the business development function by identifying and developing new business and partnership/customer opportunities.
• Educated to post-graduate level in a relevant discipline – international relations, security studies, and professional intelligence analysis training.
• Prior military, law enforcement, intelligence, government, NGO, or relevant sectors in East Africa, including experience working with international security sector donor governments.
• Demonstrable experience for managing all-source written production capability and experience in building, maintaining, and leveraging human networks; experience liaising with security sector officials, including police and military.
• Experience overseeing data analytics, data collection, and data visualization tools and techniques, such as Fulcrum and ArcGIS.
• Impeccable English writing and speaking ability.
• Highly effective organizational and prioritization skills, including the ability to stay on task and maintain focus in a fast-paced environment; strong attention to detail; keen understanding of time-sensitive requirements.
• Experience managing multiple analysts and multiple concurrent research projects.
1. Five to 10 years of experience performing senior level All-Source Intelligence Analysis or similar analytical writing roles.
2. Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant discipline (e.g., International Relations, International Business, Politics, Security Studies, or Journalism).
3. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, Excel; familiarity with geospatial technology (CARTO, ArcGIS, and Google Earth).
4. Proficiency in open-source information collection and analytical tools; familiarity with establishing human networks.